Clifford Brown Quartet in Paris features the great trumpeter with a quiet rhythm section consisting of pianist Henri Renaud, bassist Pierre Michelot and drummer Benny Bennett. There are six songs and six alternate takes (including three versions apiece of “I Can Dream, Can’t I” and “You’re a Lucky Guy”) but each of Brownie’s solos are different and his tone is so warm that every performance is well worth hearing. Ironically the finest solo, a classic version of “It Might as Well Be Spring,” was improvised in one take. Such a gem of a recording.
This book is a part of the highly ambitious Erik Veldkamp project to completely transcribe every note Clifford Brown ever put on record. You get the full tunes, complete with chord changes, expertly engraved, and ready for you to drop the needle and play along to your favourite records. Check out the full song list below, play some samples for free to the left, then grab an immediate PDF download above.
1. I Can Dream Can’t I (take 1)
2. I Can Dream Can’t I (take 2)
3. I Can Dream Can’t I (take 3)
4. It Might As Well be Spring
5. The Song Is You (take 1)
6. The Song Is You (take 2)
7. You’re A Lucky Guy (take 1)
8. You’re A Lucky Guy (take 2)
9. You’re A Lucky Guy (take 3)
10. Come Rain Or come Shine (take 1)
11. Come Rain Or come Shine (take 2)
12. Blue & Brown