Improvising is a skill that is never mastered; it is something that musicians cultivate throughout a lifetime of listening and playing, practice and performance, and exercises and experimentation. These books are designed to give you a systematic approach to developing improv chops when the tempo increases. You will notice your skills improving not only for the specific forms and tunes used by these methods, but also across the broad spectrum of your musical activity.
It’s no secret that the skill most required to be a successful jazz player in the modern era is versatility. The ability to improvise, and improvise well, will not only serve jazz and freelance musicians who want to be known for their chops, but adds a sense of stylistic freedom to everyone’s playing.
Here, Willey’s 5-volume collection of “Improv Speed Builders” is being offered for half price, to help jump-start your skills for the holidays and new year. To the left you will find samples and below you will find write-ups, so you can become familiar with what to expect from the books. You can click above for an immediate PDF download of the entire set – but don’t wait, this deal won’t be around for long.
- Willey, Improv Speed Builders Vol.1 “Standard Blues”
- Willey, Improv Speed Builders Vol.2 “Bird Blues”
- Willey, Improv Speed Builders Vol.3 “Minor Blues”
- Willey, Improv Speed Builders Vol.4 “Giant Steps”
- *Willey, Improv Speed Builders Vol.5 “Nuts and Bolts”
* Volume 5 is Treble Clef only, but playable for all brass.